27 January 2012

Embroidered Key Fobs, Part 2

This is part 2 of how I make key fobs, you can find part 1 here.

Ok, so up to this point I've shown  you how to stabilize your ribbon for embroidery.  Once you've embroidered the ribbon, remove from the hoop.  Don't worry if there's a little bit of puckering along the top & bottom of the ribbon where you embroidered.  It should be fine once you iron it and sew down on the webbing.   That reminds me, make sure when you lay out the letters in your software that you don't use too tall of a letter, you don't want it to get too close to the edge of the ribbon. 

Next step is to press the backside of the ribbon again.  That will help with little puckers you might have.  IMPORTANT:  make sure you're ironing the backside of the ribbon--where you put the fusible stabilizer prior to embroidery.  If your ribbon is a printed one like the swiss dot you see in my fobs, the iron will ruin the print on the ribbon!

Time to sew that ribbon to the webbing.  I cut my webbing a tad bit longer than the ribbon.



 I like to use clear thread for this part. I want the ribbon and webbing to show, not my stitches. Fill a bobbin with the clear thread too.


My sewing machine came with a few of these little nets for thread. I have to use it with the clear filament thread or it wraps itself around the spindle and breaks off. 



This is my very favorite sewing foot, well, other than the regular one we use for most everything. It's called an Edge stitch foot. Seriously awesome stuff here. I love it for topstitching ruffles down on clothes I make for Giana.


Start stitching it down. Don't forget to backstitch when you start at the end to secure the thread in place. You may have to move your needle a little to the left or right before you start to line it up along the edge of your ribbon.
Take your time and slow down your machine, trust me it will help keep you from sewing off the edge of your ribbon.


Cute, huh? 


Fold your webbing in half and sew it together, I like to go back & forth several times. 

Before you sew it together, make sure that you're happy with the size your fob will be, you might want to shorten it a little bit. 


Trim all the little bits off after you sew the ends together.  Pay attention to the edges.  I hate it when stray threads hang off the edges, plus you wouldn't want someone to pull a thread and have the webbing come undone.


I like to put a good amount of Fray Check on the edges.  Let it dry for a few minutes.


Go get your hardware, time to finish it up!


My hubs found these great little Flat Jaw pliers for me at Harbor Freight.  I love them because I can close the hardware at once.  I started out using regular pliers but found that the hardware didn't always close evenly and looked wonky.   Whatever you use, make sure that you cover it with some duct tape or you risk scratching the hardware on your pretty key fob that you've worked so hard to make.


All covered up!


Put your hardware on the end and squeeze gently.  Once you've got it in place go back and give it a good squeeze to make sure it's set properly in place.


Notice that the hardware has a front & back.  Pay attention that you put the teeth side on the back of your fob. 



 All done!

Please let me know if you have any questions!

21 comments:

  1. where do u get ur font for these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time I have found your site and you make some beautiful stuff. Cant wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. Where do you get your webbing from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchase the webbing from MamaSheCrazy on Etsy or from her website directly. Their wholesale site is All Island Webbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size key fob do you use? I purchase the 1.25" and have the same size webbing but the webbing is shorter then the fob and does not extend a bit wider than the fob. Should I use a 1" fob?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use 1.25 for both and ordered from MamaSheCrazy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very helpful second part of the tutorial. My embroidery machine hasn't even arrived yet but I'm plotting and scheming for projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to being embroidering, and I want to also do keychains like these. However I have been researching machines and there are SO many to choose from, I was wondering which machine you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try these. Thanks for the GREAT tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Real nice. How much do you usually sell them for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tutorial! I'm an experienced seamstress, but still relatively new to the world of machine embroidery. This is so much easier than I was trying to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great information!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. how to keep the ribbon from puckering?

    ReplyDelete
  15. really nice work witch software do you use

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOve this tutorial. Can I use the same instructions to make a landyard for ID badge?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these!

    I have had my embroidery machine for almost a year, I am still somewhat hesitant to use it, because I have problems getting everything lined up and hooped right.

    Thank you for showing good ideas on how to get these centered hooped, and embroidered properly!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Post! Thanks for your share! You can get ribbons with 196 colors and 19 sizes for choice from Yama Ribbon with the best deal!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love love these. Your instructions are so easy to follow! Thank you! BTW... what font did you use to embroider the examples above?

    ReplyDelete